Stone Harbor History

The Stone Harbor Museum newsletter arrived the other day- featuring an article on the Bungalow Colony.  Today, we refer to those streets as “the Courts”- Bower, Weber, and Stone Court.

The charming cottages were built in the early 1900′s; with total living space of less than 500 square feet!

I have a personal connection with the cottages:

My father passed away in 1993.  Several years later to acknowledge his birthday, my mother gave my sisters and me each a check.  She said it was a gift from our dad, and we should do something special for ourselves.  I held on to the check for months- waiting for just the right reason to cash it.

Later that year, I was showing a basic cottage on Weber Court that was new on the sale market.  My customers were overwhelmed with the amount of work needed, but I saw great potential.  My father’s gift became the initial deposit check on a contract to purchase!  My husband and I renovated the cottage, and eventually sold it in 2002 before purchasing our current location.

After we built our new home, my mother gave me the attached photo.  It’s my father’s family on vacation in Stone Harbor…in a cottage…on Weber Court.  My father used to talk about his childhood summers in Stone Harbor in a small house, but I had no idea of the location until I looked closely at the photo (addresses on the Court are a unique combination of a letter and number).

From my house, I can see the cottage pictured.  I love the idea that the “7 year old version of my father” and I share the same beach.  And, I am sure he is pleased with how I spent my “gift”  :)

This entry was posted in Seashore Real Estate, Stone Harbor, New Jersey- News. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

7 Comments

1. Eileen
    Posted January 28, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

I know he is pleased — and so very, very proud.

2. Richard
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Very Nice Ann ! :o )

3. Posted February 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks!

4. Lorraine
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

I loved this, Ann. It brought tears to my eyes.

5. Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

We were both fortunate to have fathers who loved the shore. It’s a wonderful trait that they passed along to us. Thanks for reading along.

6. Marianne Zwicker
    Posted August 19, 2016 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Hello, Ann!

We are the proud owners of 39 Weber Court, and have lovingly restored since we bought it in 2014. You are more that welcome to come and see our “cottage by the sea” if you’re ever interested. We’d love to show it to you!

Regards,
    Marianne Z.

7. Posted August 19, 2016 at 11:35 am | Permalink

We owned 43 Weber years ago, and of course now live around the corner! Will have to stop for a tour :)