Elevating Real Estate

The regulations regarding elevation play a major role with an owner’s plan to either renovate or build new.

A Flood Elevation Certificate is needed to determine the official elevation of both the land and the first floor living area.  For example, “curb” elevations on the island range from 5 feet above sea level to just over 12 feet.   The island may seem flat, but the subtle inclines exist!

Obviously a home with a lower curb elevation will need to be higher off the ground to meet code.

Now back to the charming beach cottages.  A lender will require flood insurance which is calcuated on the elevation.  If the home meets code, the annual premium will be approximately $900.  If the structure sits too low, the premium could be as high as $5500.

When a major renovation is planned, the municipality will require the structure to be brought up to code, too.

At this point, a property owner can compare the cost of lifting/renovating their home, or building new.

If the lot is undersized and/or the structure is larger than would be permitted today, lifting may be the best option to retain livable square footage.

If you have any questions regarding local real estate, I am here to help!  609-967-7950




This entry was posted in Avalon, New Jersey- News, Seashore Real Estate, Stone Harbor, New Jersey- News. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Tim Kerr Sothebys Logo